26 3 / 2013
Why do we have an abortion rate 20% higher than France’s (and more than twice as high as Germany’s), especially considering most doctors here won’t perform them? The answer is any country that has universal health care, where contraception is free, where child care is free or inexpensive, where there is less poverty because people don’t become bankrupt over medical bills — those societies are simply going to have fewer unplanned and unwanted pregnancies.
And there the mask gets pulled off the Bart Stupaks and the “Christians.” If the statistics show that countries with government-provided universal health care and nearly-free abortions are, in fact, the countries with the fewest abortions, then why on earth wouldn’t the Right be the first in line to support universal health care?
Because it isn’t about “universal health care.” It’s about controlling women, period. It’s about sticking your nose in other people’s business. It’s about pushing your religious beliefs on everyone else because voices in your head tell you your Jesus is The One — even though your Jesus never said one single solitary word in any of the four gospels of the Bible about abortion or fertilized eggs being human. You’ve just gone and made it up about “life beginning at conception.” Jesus never said that. The little voice in your head said that, the same little voice that wants your grubby paws on women’s uteruses. You need help. Please get some help and leave the rest of us alone, Mr. Stupak and friends."
I wish I could reblog this 1,000 times.
25 3 / 2013
- I get the best parking spaces with my handicap placard.
- Built-in reason to lay in bed all day once a week (I’m recovering from a long week people!)
- I take things slower and sometimes that’s a very good thing. I now enjoy sitting at my desk at work and taking 5 minutes to enjoy a cuppa.
- I eat healthier now. My own body is fighting against me - I’m not going to help it kill me.
- Having at least two different kinds of arthritis (possibly three) in both my hips gives me an excellent reason to use the elevator.
- Let’s be honest - those electric wheelchairs at Wal-Mart are super fun.
- I get to go to the mall all the time. Walking around and around looking at things is good exercise while still being in a temperature controlled environment so I don’t freeze or get sun stroke. Best of both worlds!
- RA is the reason I’m on the Advocacy Committee via The Arthritis Society. I will help make a difference in someone’s life because of what the committee has done.
- Whenever I forget something, I can just blame it on the “chemo brain”.
- You find out who your true friends are. And, sometimes, you find even more friends (I’m looking at you Twitter #rheum mates).
18 3 / 2013
22 2 / 2013
18 2 / 2013
17 2 / 2013
15 2 / 2013
04 2 / 2013